Saturday, March 29, 2014

When we just can't take any more

As I was studying this morning it reminded me of something my 5 year old grandson did the other day that everyone thought was amusing, but it taught me something important and I wanted to share it with you. First what happened with Elijah:

My daughter and her family were visiting an uncle at the hospital who had had a heart attack. Gracie who is 2 was climbing on an empty bed playing on it and started to fall off head first unseen by her parents. Elijah who was nearby, reached out and grabbed her leg and held on to her without saying a word. Gracie wasn't yelling because she knew Elijah had her and she was safe, but then her parents saw what was happening and her Daddy ran and grabbed hold of her. At that moment, still without saying a word, Elijah let go of Gracie and just continued to try and pay attention to the person they were visiting. My daughter was so shocked that he had done that, she asked him why he let go and why he didn't say something. He said, "I knew Daddy had her".

What really struck me was his absolute total trust that his daddy had Gracie and that she was OK and Gracie's absolute trust that she was OK because Elijah and then Daddy had her. Elijah did what he felt he had to do, he grabbed Gracie to keep her from getting hurt. It didn't occur to him to worry that someone wouldn't come and help him and that he wouldn't be able to hold on to her very long. He "knew" his daddy would be there and would help. There was no fear, no doubt, nothing. Just trust. Gracie didn't get scared because almost the same instant that she began to fall, she felt her brothers hand close on her leg and hold on so she wouldn't get hurt. It didn't occur to her to cry because she knew she was safe. It didn't occur to her to wonder how long Elijah could hold on, or what she should do or what would happen to her if he let go, because she "knew" he wouldn't let go till she was safe. So there was no worry or fear, just trust.

As I pondered that, I thought of what a wonderful illustration of how we should be with our Lord. Many times we reach a point in our lives where we just can't take anymore and we cry out to Him for help. It can be because we can't take any more physical pain or it could be emotional pain or any number of things. I've reached that place several times this past month which is probably why the Lord pointed this out to me.

The more I've thought about it, the more I've realized that each time that I've cried out to the Lord saying
"I just can't take anymore", He already had hold of me. I may have felt like I was dangling off a high cliff, but He had hold of my leg already, I just wasn't paying attention. He had to calm me down first before I recognized that I was safe in His arms and everything was OK.

I hadn't realized how my cries for help were showing a lack of faith until the Lord showed me this. I realize anew now that I need never fear or feel alone or feel that He isn't aware of my situation. I also realize that when I got to that point it should have been a red flag showing me that I was relying on myself instead of relying on Him.

I want to grow up to be like my grandchildren. I want to trust my Lord so much that I don't ever have to scream or call out for help, because I'll already know that He's there and I'm safe in His arms.

Matthew 8:24–26, Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

Matthew 14:29–31, “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?

John 14:1, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on this so we can encourage and share with each other..